Potholes are more than just an eyesore. Those pesky holes are a real cause for concern to commercial and residential owners alike. One pothole can damage a car, injure a bicyclist or trip a pedestrian! These hazards are a booming industry for attorneys on both sides of the fence. Just one liability judgment can cause business hardship and/or family strife. When a pothole peeks up at you, know this is no laughing matter. Pothole repairs are essential!
Anatomy of a Pothole
Like many surface problems, potholes are caused by the presence of moisture.
- Water has invaded the foundation of the surface and caused the soil surrounding to weaken.
- Freezing causes the soil to push up.
- When the area thaws the weakened asphalt.
- The surface cannot hold up to the traffic and a car goes right through to the base below.
- Just like a crack in your windshield, the earlier the right fix is applied the better.
- Given enough time, one pothole can ruin an entire parking lot. Nature is a cruel beast and will show no mercy!
- DIY pothole repair kits are perfect for an emergency fix, but are never a solution. After a few rains, your money is gone and the real problem remains. The underlying problem must be dealt with. A band-aid will not repair this problem!
Ever have a pothole on your street? When City Maintenance came out, they probably threw some hot asphalt mix on top, stamped it down and moved on. That solution may be a cheap repair for a year or so, but most city crews have a list of where all the potholes are located. City Managers know they will have to rip out the area around the pothole, install a new sub-base and finally a thick asphalt pavement slab over the top.
But you want your asphalt surface to look great all the time. Businesses require their parking lots to be inviting to their customers. Happy customers spend more money!
St. Louis Asphalt Sealing & Striping has repaired potholes for businesses, homes, developments, apartment complexes and non-profits for over 20 years. When your asphalt surface needs pothole repairs, we should be your first call!